Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Writing Methodologies

I was talking with my sister-in-law the other day about what methods I use to write. Some people just sit and write, others map out everything in notes before they even start writing.

I find myself somewhere in the middle. I keep a folder on my computer for ideas. As new ideas come to me I write them down. If I think multiple ideas go good together I'll put them in a sub folder. Then when I think I've got a combination of ideas that would make an interesting story I sit down and write a chapter or two, just letting the muse take me where it will, but using that set of ideas as a foundation. Very often by the end of two or three chapters it becomes clear to me that either the story won't work or that the ideas need more work.

Sometimes I find a story that feels like it'll work. When I decide the story works I sit down and figure out how I want the story to end. That gives me a starting point and an ending point. Then I write a few notes to aim it in that direction. Then I begin writing chapters again, occasionally stopping to write more notes to keep track of plot elements I plan for the future.

I find that this makes my stories seem more natural. They're not chaotic like when people just sit down and write, but they're also not like reading directions. Instead I let the characters and the world direct itself in my head, and I just have to give it nudges to keep it going in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment